.

.

Thursday, April 2, 2015

Six Weeks With Suzi - Day 7

It's Day 7!  I feel great!  Tomorrow is weigh-in day, and I am looking forward to finding out if any pounds have dropped off this week.  But, either way, I already feel healthier and stronger.

DAY 7

Breakfast
1 egg, 2 egg whites – scrambled w/light PAM
½ c Oatmeal, ½ c sugar-free Cashew Milk

Lunch
Quinoa, Pulled Pork and Sundried Tomato Salad
Dressing: Oil from Sundried Tomatoes

Dinner
4 oz Grilled Chicken
Yellow Squash, Carrots and Onions sautéed in Olive Oil

Snack
¾ c Low-fat Cottage Cheese

Exercise
Walk 3 miles carrying 5 lb hand weights

Walking is great exercise.  It is a great cardio, heart healthy activity.  Be sure you walk fast enough to get your heart rate up, but not so fast that you couldn't carry on a normal conversation.  Walking is low impact on your knees, as opposed to running, so especially if you have bad or weak knees, there is no better exercise.  I have found that walking for a while, combined with other leg exercises such as lunges and squats, actually help strengthen my knees and I can eventually build up to running without fear of knee injury.

I like to carry hand weights when I walk to help increase resistance, increase the heart rate, and build upper body muscle at the same time.  Start out with 1 pound hand weights.  Mine are small, neoprene covered and fit perfectly in the palm of my hands.  Start increasing the weight with time.  Hand weights can be purchased up to 5 pounds, but once I get up to that point, I just carry my 5 lb dumbbells.  Start out holding your arms up, forearms parallel with the ground, palms holding weights pointing down.  As you walk, pump your arms slightly.  You'll feel the resistance in your arms and shoulders, as well as a slight twisting motion as you walk (good for the obliques!)  Experiment with position and form... Dropping the arms straight down by your side and swinging your arms wide as you walk; holding the weights up at your chest with elbows pointed straight out works the chest and pectorals; try punching out in front of your body as you walk, working the shoulders and even the abs... You get the idea!

What is your favorite exercise?

No comments:

Post a Comment