.

.

Sunday, March 29, 2015

Six Weeks With Suzi - Day 3

Two days down... 43 to go!

Some thoughts on breakfast.  I admit that I am often guilty of skipping breakfast.  My coffee is very important to me, and by the time I drink my 2-3 cups in the morning, breakfast sometimes gets left by the wayside.  But, I am trying to change that habit.  Starting the day with a healthy breakfast provides the energy needed to meet whatever the day brings, and helps ward off the urge to snack or pig out on something bad for you later in the day when the hunger catches up or you have a low sugar crash.  

A good mix of protein, fat and fiber makes up a healthy breakfast.  Eggs are a wonder food: full of protein, with just enough fat to keep you full.  The fat from one yolk is sufficient, so I also add 2 egg whites to the mix for added protein without adding more fat.  However, life is too short to spend time in a day separating yolks from eggs...so, do yourself a favor and just by egg whites in the little carton. It's also important to get good fiber in the morning.  I love oatmeal.  Get the real stuff, not instant.  I like the steel cut oats.  Making it with unsweetened cashew milk adds a little flavor with very little additional calories or fat.  It takes a little getting used to, but I have come to love it plain. If you just can't stand it, sprinkle some cinnamon on top, or try adding just a little squeeze of honey or a tiny pat of butter.  I also like Kashi Go Lean Crunch cereal.  It is very high in protein and fiber, and with 3 grams of fat, provides the perfect mix for breakfast.  Skim milk gives some additional protein and bone building calcium.  If you are trying to avoid dairy, have the Kashi with unsweetened cashew milk.


DAY 3

Breakfast
1 egg, 2 egg whites – scrambled w/light PAM
½ c Oatmeal, ½ c sugar-free Cashew Milk

Lunch
Salad – Romaine Lettuce, Cabbage, Red Bell Pepper, Green Bell Pepper, Celery, Carrots
Dressing – Olive Oil and Red Wine Vinegar
Small can Tuna

Dinner
4 oz Grilled Lean Steak
Sweet Potato and Onions sautéed in Peanut Oil
Green Beans

Snack
Grapefruit

Exercise
Walk 3 miles carrying 1 lb hand weights


No comments:

Post a Comment