.

.

Saturday, February 28, 2015

Super Green Smoothie


I tried using avocado in my smoothie for the first time.  What a wonderful addition!  It adds a smooth creamy texture, while imparting just a hint of flavor.  It does add quite a bit of fat to the total nutrition, but it's the "good" fat... almost 2/3 of the fats avocados contain are the heart-healthy monounsaturated fats, like those found in olive oil. 

This smoothie also has flax seeds, which add a nice nutty flavor, a bit of fiber, and lots of those wonderful antioxidants including a high concentration of Omega 3.  I bought natural whole flax seeds from my local health flood store and ground them in a coffee grinder. 



There are also oats added for fiber and extra protein.  The oats were also ground fine in the coffee grinder along with the flax seeds.


Recently, I discovered cashew milk.  If you know me very well, you know that I am a skim milk girl. I love my milk!  I have tried soy milk, but really didn't like it.  But, if you know me, you also know how much I love nuts!


So, I had to try cashew milk, and it is so delicious.  As a smoothie ingredient, it provides a great nutty flavor and is actually lower in calories than skim milk.


Add in some spinach, tropical fruits and protein powder, and voila you have a Super Green Smoothie, beautiful in color, tasty and very filling.



Super Green Smoothie

½ Avocado
1 Banana
1 c. Pineapple (chunks, frozen)
1 c. Spinach (chopped, frozen)
1 T. Flax Seeds (ground fine)
½ c. Oats (ground fine)
2 T. Whey Protein Powder, Vanilla flavor
1 c. Cashew Milk

Blend all ingredients in blender until smooth.
(45 g Protein, 16 g Fat, 15 g Fiber)

No comments:

Post a Comment