.

.

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

For The Love Of Smoothies



I love smoothies.  They are a delicious way to get vitamins and anti-oxidants from fruits and vegetables and a great source of easily digestible protein.  I especially like smoothies immediately following a workout.  I'm a big believer in consuming protein as soon after working out as possible. Muscles are hungry and when they are stressed, they want to consume. Whey protein especially promotes muscle growth and aids in muscle recovery.

Normally, I use whatever I can find in the fridge, freezer and cabinet to concoct different and interesting smoothie flavors.  I do prefer to use frozen fruit and avoid ice that will water down the flavor.  Store bought frozen fruit works fine, but fresh fruit like bananas, grapes, etc., can also be frozen for later use.

 I often use powdered whey protein for added protein and a yummy vanilla flavor.  It can be purchased at most health supply stores.
I've gotten it from wholesale retailers, but my favorite comes from my local health foods store, Remedy's in Key Largo.  It's all natural and quite delicious.                                                                                                                                  

Greek yogurt is a great source of protein and flavor, as is peanut butter.


Sometimes, I also like to add oats for fiber, and they add a nice creamy texture.
                                             

Bottom line, is there is no exact recipe.  Experiment, have fun.

Here are a few of my favorite concoctions:


PB&J Smoothie


1 c. Skim Milk
1 c. Quaker Oats, finely ground
¼ c. Whey Protein Powder, Vanilla Flavor
1 T. Peanut Butter
6 Frozen Strawberries
½ c. Frozen Blueberries
¼ c. Apple Juice
¼ c. Pomegranate Juice

Blend all ingredients in blender until smooth.
(55 g Protein, 11 g Fat, 15 g Fiber)

Tangy Peach-Berry Smoothie

6 oz. Plain Lowfat Greek Yogurt
1 c. Quaker Oats, finely ground
2 c. (approx.) Frozen Mixed Fruit – Peach, Strawberry, Pineapple, Grapes
¼ c. Frozen Blueberries
½ Banana
½ c. Orange Juice
¼ c. Pomegranate Juice
Splash skim milk if too thick

Blend all ingredients in blender until smooth.
(25 g Protein, 5 g Fat, 18 g Fiber)

No comments:

Post a Comment